Latest Automotive News

Subscribe in a reader




Auto Price Quote
Get a free auto price
quote from Edmunds!

Alonso will drive for Renault in 2008 after agreeing to two year deal

Email   small font medium font large font

Google
 
Web AutoNews24h.com

Two-time Formula One world champion Fernando Alonso is heading back to Renault on a two-year contract.

The 26-year-old Spaniard announced his return to the French team Monday after a turbulent season at McLaren.

At Renault in 2005, Alonso became the youngest driver in F1 history to win the title. He repeated in 2006.

``I am delighted to be returning to Renault,'' Alonso said in a statement. ``This is the team where I grew up as a driver in Formula One. Now it is time for us to begin a new chapter together.''

Renault said that Alonso would drive along with Nelson Piquet Jr. The duo will make their debut testing the new R28 car at Valencia from Jan. 22-24.

``Fernando and Nelsinho will form one of the most exciting driver lineup of 2008,'' Renault managing director Flavio Briatore said. ``We are delighted to be welcoming Fernando back home to the team where he enjoyed his greatest success. His abilities as a driver and a team leader are well known, and we look forward to forging another strong partnership.''

Spanish media reported that Alonso would earn 35 million euros (C$52 million) per season, though Renault would not confirm the figure.

Alonso had been linked with a return to Renault ever since he was released from his three-year contract with McLaren in November. A move to the French team gained momentum Friday when FIA decided against penalizing Renault for possessing confidential information about rival team McLaren.

``To be honest, the first three weeks of November, I was on a much needed vacation and during which I disconnected from Formula One,'' Alonso said. ``The decision to choose a team did not take more than a week, as me and the people close to me were clear about what we wanted.''

Alonso dismissed talk that he could have taken a year sabbatical, preferring patience while dissecting all of the possible options.

``It would have never come to me not having a drive for next season,'' Alonso said. ``We are talking about a very important decision and since I could not get back at the wheel of a car until January or February, there was no rush.''

Alonso finished third in the 2007 drivers' standings with 109 points, though his season is better remembered by rocky relations with rookie driving partner Lewis Hamilton and a spy scandal that cost McLaren US$100 million and all of its constructors' championship points.

Renault finished third in the constructors' championship in 2007 with 51 points, 153 behind champion Ferrari.

Alonso made his F1 debut in 2001 with Minardi and spent three years at Renault from 2003-06. In 105 races, he won 19 and finished on the podium 49 times.

Giancarlo Fisichella and Heiki Kovalainen drove for Renault in 2007.

``Renault had a difficult year in 2007, but I know that the team has real strength in depth,'' Alonso said. ``I am confident they can produce a fast and competitive car and be back at the top in 2008.''

Receive the latest automotive news by email!

Enter your email address:


Find the new car you want on cars.com

Related news
Fernando Alonso's return to Renault won't change Formula One's pecking order, according to Ferrari drivers Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa. ``Ferrari and McLaren will surely be very fast again,'' Raikkonen said Thursday at Ferrari's ...
Renault is celebrating the return of Fernando Alonso and the success of Renault Mégane with an international advertising campaign • Fernando Alonso chose Renault Mégane F1 Team for its ...
LONDON (AP) _ Renault is set to appoint Bernard Rey as president of its Formula One team following the departure of Alain Dassas. Rey, a senior vice-president with Renault's chief executive office, has ...
Former Ferrari boss Jean Todt said the decision to hire Kimi Raikkonen as driver instead of Fernando Alonso was proven right by the way the last Formula One season unfolded. Todt said he ...
Nelson Piquet Jr. will conduct testing for Renault's Formula One car next week for the first time. The 21-year-old son of former three-time F1 champion Nelson Piquet was signed last ...
Renault Samsung Motors Corp. said Monday its first sport utility vehicle, the QM5, will help drive up its global sales to 200,000 vehicles next year. ``We expect total sales will be strongly supported ...
Mecachrome International Inc. (TSX:MCH) has won a contract renewal for the manufacture and assembly of Formula One engines developed by Renault Sport. The contract is for three years, running until the end of ...
The Renault group sold 638,554 PC and LCVs in first-quarter 2008, for an increase of 6.5% on first-quarter 2007. Renault brand sales were up 4.7%, Dacia sales increased by 37% and Renault Samsung ...
Jaguar XF Jaguar's new XF has claimed top prize �" the highly respected 'Car of the Year' award �" at the 2008 What Car? awards ...

Best Investment Newsletter

- 46% in 2008

- invest in the best performing US stocks only and sell them when the uptrend is over

- very easy to follow, simple buy/sell signals

- no need to have investing or trading experience

Find More Now!


Alonso will drive for Renault in 2008 after agreeing to two year deal
> © 2006-2011 AutoNews24h.com except where otherwise noted