Chrysler LLC Introduces Entire 2009 Dodge Challenger Model Lineup at New York International Auto Show
Three available models - Dodge Challenger SRT8®, Dodge Challenger R/T and
Dodge Challenger SE - with Pricing From the Low $20's
- 35 Years Later, Dodge Redefines Modern American Muscle
- Re-creation of vintage American muscle car blends nostalgic flair with modern engineering and technology
- Five-passenger, two-door coupe produced from proven Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger platform
- First modern-day, HEMI®-powered car offered with precision-shift six-speed manual transmission
- New-generation 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 delivers increased fuel economy
(an estimated 5 percent) with more horsepower (30 hp) and improved
torque (8 lb.-ft.)
- 5.7-liter HEMI goes from zero to 60 mph in less than six seconds
- SRT-exclusive 6.1-liter HEMI V-8 engine goes from zero to 60 mph in less than five seconds
- Best-in-class rear head (37.4 inches) and leg (32.6 inches) room provides spacious back seat for up to three adults
- Best-in-class trunk space (16.2 cu. ft.) equal to the Dodge Charger
- More than 25 safety and security features including supplemental
side-curtain air bags, advanced multi-stage air bags, Electronic
Stability Program (ESP) and anti-lock brakes
- Equipped with cutting-edge technology including MyGIG™
radio/navigation, UConnect® Hands-free Communication System, Keyless Go
push-button start and Remote Start
- To ensure quality, Dodge Challenger engineers logged nearly 3.2 million customer-equivalent miles in development process
- All-new 2009 Dodge Challenger to arrive this fall
- Full lineup press kit available online at www.media.chrysler.com
Today at the New York International Auto Show, Chrysler LLC unveiled
its full 2009 Dodge Challenger model lineup. Pricing will start in the
The all-new 2009 Dodge Challenger merges the best American
muscle-car characteristics — unmistakable design, world-class handling,
powerful engines, and technology — to delight driving enthusiasts
across several generations.
"Our all-new 2009 Dodge Challenger is a modern-day muscle machine
representing the best from the past and present," said Mike Accavitti,
Director, Dodge Brand and SRT Global Marketing, Chrysler LLC.
"Thirty-five years following the debut of the original, we are bringing
Dodge Challenger back and loading it with essential hardware, styling
and technology desired by today's buyer."
The Dodge Challenger is the first five-passenger, two-door coupe
produced from Chrysler's proven rear-wheel-drive platform that delivers
the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger. Developed with Dodge's credo of
"bold, powerful and capable," the Challenger delivers a modern two-door
Three models will be offered in North America: Dodge Challenger SRT8®, Dodge Challenger R/T and Dodge Challenger SE.
The Dodge Challenger R/T features the new-generation 5.7-liter HEMI®
V-8 engine with a five-speed automatic transmission that produces an
estimated 370 horsepower (276 kW) and 398 lb.-ft. of torque (540 N·m).
For 2009, the HEMI engine is upgraded to get an estimated five percent
improvement in fuel economy as well as an increase of 30 horsepower (9
percent) and 8 lb.-ft. improved torque (2 percent) over a greater range
of engine speeds. The automatic transmission features fuel-saving
multi-displacement (MDS) technology which increases fuel economy by as
much as 20 percent depending on driving conditions without sacrificing
vehicle performance. The Dodge Challenger R/T also offers a
precision-shift six-speed manual transmission — the first for a
new-generation HEMI-powered car — that produces 375 horsepower (280 kW)
and 404 lb.-ft. of torque (548 N·m) when running on premium fuel. The
Dodge Challenger R/T can go from zero to 60 mph in less than six
The 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 features an SRT-exclusive 6.1-liter
HEMI V-8 engine mated with a new-for-2009 six-speed manual transmission
or a five-speed automatic transmission with Auto Stick that generates a
blistering 425 horsepower (317 kW) and 420 lb.-ft. of torque (569 N·m).
The vehicle can go from zero to 60 mph in less than five seconds.
The Dodge Challenger SE powered by the 3.5-liter High Output V-6
with a four-speed automatic transmission produces 250 horsepower (186
kW) and 250 lb.-ft. of torque (339 N·m).
Patterned off the Dodge Charger architecture, the front suspension
and five-link independent rear suspension system on all Dodge
Challenger models provide excellent ride and handling characteristics.
The Dodge Challenger design team stayed true to the concept revealed
at the 2006 North American International Auto Show, while drawing upon
elements from the original Challenger. The result: a bold, aggressive
muscle machine that blends nostalgia with modern Dodge style.
"Our designers wanted to capture the mind's-eye view of what people
today remember about the Dodge Challenger from 35 years ago," said
Trevor Creed, Senior Vice President - Design, Chrysler LLC. "Their
challenge was to excite today's customer by capturing the emotion of
the original Challenger, while offering today's comfort and
On the exterior, the long, raised performance hood with scoops and
recessed grille with round dual headlamps are reminiscent of the
original Dodge Challenger. The bold A-line, or character line, that
runs from stem to stern gives the all-new 2009 Dodge Challenger an
instantly recognizable muscle-car profile. Retro dual rectangular
exhaust outlets complete the look from the rear.
On the interior, the trapezoidal theme of the door-panel cove and
gauge cluster, dark headliner and slanted shifter console are inspired
by the original Dodge Challenger. The modern interpretation of the
Dodge Challenger offers exceptional rear seating for a two-door coupe,
achieving best-in-class rear head (37.4 inches) and leg (32.6 inches)
room compared to the competition. Coupled with best-in-class cargo
space (16.2 cu. ft.) — equal to the Dodge Charger — the all-new 2009
Dodge Challenger offers added comfort and functionality.
Essential TechnologyThe all-new 2009 Dodge Challenger offers customers a full range of innovative technologies including:
- MyGIG™ provides a cutting-edge multimedia audio and entertainment system, with built-in navigation
- UConnect® Hands-free Communication System provides convenient, voice-activated communication with Bluetooth® cellular phones
- SIRIUS® Digital Satellite Radio offers a variety of commercial-free radio programs and music
- Keyless Go allows the driver to start the vehicle with the simple push of a button
- Remote Start starts a secured vehicle with the key fob
More than 25 Safety and Security Features
Dodge Challenger offers more than 25 safety and security features including:
- Supplemental Side-curtain Air Bags extend protection to all outboard front- and rear-seat passengers
- Anti-lock Brakes (ABS) modulate the brakes for the driver to provide steering control while braking
- Electronic Stability Program (ESP) applies selective braking or throttle reduction to control oversteer and understeer
- Brake Assist ensures maximum braking action during panic stops
- Traction Control reduces the throttle and/or applies selective braking to optimize traction during acceleration
- Hill Start Assist (HSA) for Manual Transmission application assists the driver in launching the vehicle on an incline
- Automatic Headlamps turn headlamps on at dusk and off in the daylight without driver intervention
- Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) alerts driver about low tire pressure(s) in order to facilitate safe handling
2009 Dodge Challenger Production
The all-new 2009 Dodge Challenger will be built at the Brampton
Assembly plant in Brampton, Ontario, Canada. It will be built on the
same assembly line as the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger.